11 Aug 2017

'Cause I'm Leavin' On A Jet Plane

Travelling with a baby can be a really daunting prospect, especially for first time mums. So I thought I would share my experience just in time for the summer holiday season.

Firstly, and most importantly, check the milk and water guidelines of the airline you are traveling with. We were only going to France and we found they were quite lenient on both sides. I packed the majority of Phoebe's milk in our hold luggage, but she needed something to get her through the journey. The 100ml rule is generally wavered in this case.

If you are traveling a bit further afield I believe you can order milk to the airside? But you will need to check this with whoever you are travelling with.

You can also buy ready made formula milk in duty free. I picked up a couple more cartons whilst I was perusing the meal deals.

The pushchair/pram stays with you until you get on the plane, which is good because Phoebe is now a tonne weight in our arms. Most airlines allow you to take two pieces of baby equipment free of charge, but be warned. If your pram splits into two, that is your two items. We took a car seat and the base of our buggy.

If you don't want to take your carseat I am pretty sure if you are renting a car on the other end you can prebook the use of one, at a cost of course!

We took Phoebe's Sleepyhead. Worried she wouldn't really adapt to the vastness of a travel cot, the Sleepyhead was the perfect insert. It wasn't too hard to pack either, and doesn't weigh an awful lot.

I also packed her bouncer. Maybe I was being a bit over prepared but at the time she was too young for a highchair, and we didn't particularly want her sitting on our knee every meal time.

Other equipment I packed; disposable bibs, a microwave steriliser which could also be used with tablets, bottles, sterilising wipes etc.

But our lifesaving piece of equipment was this fan which comes with me everywhere now. It is battery operated but also comes with a USB cable to plug into any charger.

I think in hindsight, if where we are going is in driving distance, that might be the better mode of transportation. Purely because of how much a new baby needs, and although most airlines claim that children under a certain age travel 'free' this isn't necessarily true.

If you have any questions about travelling with a baby, leave a comment below and I will do my best to answer them.

Love, Jo
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig