FLOURISH & BLOTTING

beauty, travel & lifestyle

12 May 2017

8 Things No One Told Me About Postpartum

I always felt like I was prepared for labour and birth. I guess the classes I took really helped with that. Unfortunately no one really tells you what to expect after that, after the 'hard' part is over. Well, hopefully this post will enlighten you..

01. You can bleed up to 6 weeks after birth. Luckily mine only lasted 3 weeks but be prepared for some scary looking clots straight after birth.. Maternity pads are a must, at least for the first couple of weeks. In the hospital I was advised to wear two, back to back, so yeah..

02. There is such a thing as after pain. This is brought on by breast feeding, and to me it felt like quite strong period pains. This only lasted a few days but I have known it to be much more severe, and longer lasting depending on you as a person, and whether this is your first, 2nd or third child.

03. There is an actual fear of going to the toilet. Everything is sensitive, it's incredibly scary to push,  and if you have had an episiotomy it just adds to the uncomfortableness. My only advice would be to use stool softeners and include a bit more fibre in your diet. That, and get as many showers as you want. Just by running warm water over the area made it that bit more comfortable.

04. Breast feeding is the most trying thing I have ever done. I will talk more about this in a separate blog post because there are a couple of things I feel quite strongly about, but let me tell you, it is NOT easy. Sore, hard breasts are often a thing too.

05. The pregnancy sneezes still exist. Even now, sneezing, coughing, lifting and jumping may mean a nasty surprise. I definitely need to work on my pelvic floor.

06. Your belly will look like a deflated balloon. I honestly thought that the minute I had Phoebe my belly would go back to normal. Wrong. Even now I still look about 5 months pregnant! I think the mentality you have to take is that it took 9 months to grow your baby and so it should take about that to get back down to normal, right?

07. You have no inhibitions. After giving birth I no longer care about having my boobs out, or sharing my bowel movements with anyone who asks. So probably don't ask!

08. The hormones are still running strong. I don't think I cried this much even during pregnancy! I guess everything is a little bit heightened. I never in my life thought Britain's Got Talent would bring me to tears.

Obviously everyone is different, and not everything I have experienced is the same for everyone. Let it be known that not all my experiences have been bad, I don't want to completely scare you all!

Love, Jo.

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I'm not pregnant or planning on having a little one any time soon, but thank you for sharing this post! It was really interesting and informative and I think it's really important to share this kind of stuff, it's good to know and be prepared for when it eventually happens!

    Tarnya xx
    www.sweetallure.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wished I had known some of the stuff I have written about beforehand! I could have prepared for life with a baby a bit better I think! x

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post, so informative! No one ever talks about the after effects of birth, and it's so surprising what mums have to deal with. I look forward to reading about the breastfeeding post, that is sure to be quite helpful for when I have a little one!

    Stephii Mattea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear every mum is a super mum in my eyes now. It is definitely the hardest thing I have ever done x

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig